Paying off debt became a little slower as the fiscal cliff fix comes into play. American households are spending less of their income to pay off debt than ever in almost 30 years, according to an article by the Wall Street Journal.
In the third quarter of 2012, 10.6 percent of after-tax income was spent on debt payment requirements. It hasn’t been this low since 1984.
The start of this came with the housing market bubble crash, according to an article in Economic Times. Since then it has been a slow recovery, and with more money going to taxes, it could slow down the amount of debt paid off.
“You have a lot of people refinancing their mortgages at lower rates,” Gennadiy Goldberg, an economist at TD Securities in New York, said to Economic Times. “Some homeowners have more money in their pockets to spend, which should be positive for the economic recovery going forward.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon