PHOENIX — El Nino — which typically brings a dry, wet winter to Arizona — pulled a disappearing act in the fall but climatologists are pleasantly surprised by what they’re seeing.
“The Mogollon Rim is around 218 percent above the norm for snowpack, and the Verde System is at about the same level,” said climatologist Nancy Selover.
Arizona’s reservoirs, including Roosevelt Lake, are at 36 percent of capacity, which in this case is a good thing because they’ll have room to hold the spring runoff. Meanwhile, the snowpack in Colorado is at about half of what it should be. That snowpack feeds the Colorado River, Lake Mead, Lake Powell and the Central Arizona Project, but Selover said she’s not concerned about that yet.
“It would be 2015 or 2016 before we would get worried but we hope it doesn’t come to that. We hope January turns the corner for Colorado,” she said.
A drought has taken a huge toll on the Midwest. The mighty Mississippi River is at historic lows and some are wondering if we could see the same here. Selover said it’s a totally different type of drought than Arizona has been in for almost two decades.
“They’re more dependent on rainfall for crop irrigation,” she said. “We tend to pump more groundwater as a normal course of business. They tend not to and we are used to this because we’re a desert.”
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona