PHOENIX — They may be rivals in the Fiesta Bowl, but Ducks and Wildcats teamed up Thursday morning to help fight hunger.
About 100 students and supporters from Kansas State and Oregon visited St. Mary’s Food Bank to help pack boxes of food.
“We thought we could all come together and work together before we battle it out on the football field tonight,” said Sarah Smith-Benanti, development assistant of student affairs at Oregon.
Smith-Benanti said the school worked with the food bank two years ago when Oregon played in the BCS national championship game.
Kansas State vice president Pat Boscow said the latest event is an opportunity to teach their students about giving back.
“It’s one small step in the process of educating young people about the commitment to community service, civic engagement, and caring about someone else,” Boscow said.
St. Mary’s Food Bank estimated the volunteers packed about 1,600 boxes.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas