PHOENIX — They may be rivals in the Fiesta Bowl, but Ducks and Wildcats teamed up Thursday morning to help fight hunger.
About 100 students and supporters from Kansas State and Oregon visited St. Mary’s Food Bank to help pack boxes of food.
“We thought we could all come together and work together before we battle it out on the football field tonight,” said Sarah Smith-Benanti, development assistant of student affairs at Oregon.
Smith-Benanti said the school worked with the food bank two years ago when Oregon played in the BCS national championship game.
Kansas State vice president Pat Boscow said the latest event is an opportunity to teach their students about giving back.
“It’s one small step in the process of educating young people about the commitment to community service, civic engagement, and caring about someone else,” Boscow said.
St. Mary’s Food Bank estimated the volunteers packed about 1,600 boxes.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes