PHOENIX — For the first time in the 131-year history of the Phoenix Police, officers retook the oath of office Thursday morning.
Phoenix City Court chief presiding judge Roxanne Song Ong administered the oath to dozens of officers at City Hall, among them, motor officer Toby Ehrler.
“It is not a burden. It’s a friendly reminder of what we do in our chosen profession and it’s not a bad thing,” he said.
This will be a yearly event for the department. According to the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association, some officers believe the ceremony is a waste of time. Erhler said for him it’s an honor.
“This was a special day and everybody will have the opportunity. We look forward to everybody taking part. It was a good day and I enjoyed it,” he said.
Chief Daniel Garcia said he believed Phoenix is the first police agency in America to have officers retake their oaths.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them