PHOENIX — For the first time in the 131-year history of the Phoenix Police, officers retook the oath of office Thursday morning.
Phoenix City Court chief presiding judge Roxanne Song Ong administered the oath to dozens of officers at City Hall, among them, motor officer Toby Ehrler.
“It is not a burden. It’s a friendly reminder of what we do in our chosen profession and it’s not a bad thing,” he said.
This will be a yearly event for the department. According to the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association, some officers believe the ceremony is a waste of time. Erhler said for him it’s an honor.
“This was a special day and everybody will have the opportunity. We look forward to everybody taking part. It was a good day and I enjoyed it,” he said.
Chief Daniel Garcia said he believed Phoenix is the first police agency in America to have officers retake their oaths.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl