SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — There’s a lot of talk that former Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid could become the new head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.
Eagles fans in the Valley are intrigued by the thought of having Reid as Cardinals’ coach.
The Blitz sports bar in downtown Scottsdale is a favorite hangout for Eagles fans. Bartender Leigh Rutledge said having Reid as the Cardinals coach “would be better than what the Cardinals have now.”
The Cardinals don’t have a head coach right now, which is the whole point of the coaching search, but point taken.
Meanwhile, Ed Billings of Phoenix said a good quarterback is what the team needs most.
“Like Denver proved this year (by signing Peyton Manning) I don’t think it’s so much the coach as it is a quarterback,” Billings said. “Without a quarterback, it don’t matter who the coach is. I guarantee that if Tom Brady wasn’t in New England, they’d be a .500 team.
“Look at what Andrew Luck has done in Indianapolis last year to this year. I think a lot of the coaches are pretty equal. Yes, there’s a few that are better than the others, but the quarterback is the main person.”
He doesn’t think the Cardinals will find a quarterback in the draft.
“There’s never good quarterbacks out of Southern Cal, so I sure hope they don’t take that Barkley guy,” Billings said, referring to University of Southern California quarterback Matt Barkley.
As for Reid, Rutledge said having Reid as the Cardinals’ head coach could force a lot of her patrons to change their allegiance.
“I don’t know, it could be a possibility. It might change it up a little bit. After all, the Cardinals do need a sports bar, so this could do it,” Rutledge said.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates