SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — There’s a lot of talk that former Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid could become the new head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.
Eagles fans in the Valley are intrigued by the thought of having Reid as Cardinals’ coach.
The Blitz sports bar in downtown Scottsdale is a favorite hangout for Eagles fans. Bartender Leigh Rutledge said having Reid as the Cardinals coach “would be better than what the Cardinals have now.”
The Cardinals don’t have a head coach right now, which is the whole point of the coaching search, but point taken.
Meanwhile, Ed Billings of Phoenix said a good quarterback is what the team needs most.
“Like Denver proved this year (by signing Peyton Manning) I don’t think it’s so much the coach as it is a quarterback,” Billings said. “Without a quarterback, it don’t matter who the coach is. I guarantee that if Tom Brady wasn’t in New England, they’d be a .500 team.
“Look at what Andrew Luck has done in Indianapolis last year to this year. I think a lot of the coaches are pretty equal. Yes, there’s a few that are better than the others, but the quarterback is the main person.”
He doesn’t think the Cardinals will find a quarterback in the draft.
“There’s never good quarterbacks out of Southern Cal, so I sure hope they don’t take that Barkley guy,” Billings said, referring to University of Southern California quarterback Matt Barkley.
As for Reid, Rutledge said having Reid as the Cardinals’ head coach could force a lot of her patrons to change their allegiance.
“I don’t know, it could be a possibility. It might change it up a little bit. After all, the Cardinals do need a sports bar, so this could do it,” Rutledge said.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match