Phoenix Police officers have been asked to reaffirm their oath of office during a ceremony happening at City Hall on Thursday.
According to the department, every January, the men and women of the Phoenix Police Department will be asked to participate in the event, starting with the chief of police and the executive and command staff, each member of the organization will be given an opportunity to take the Oath of Office.
The Phoenix Police Department will begin a new tradition of an annual recitation of the Oath of Office for police officers. This process will continue through each shift until the entire organization has had the opportunity to be a part of this special ceremony.
Chief Daniel Garcia’s decision has been criticized by leaders of the union, which represents over 2,000 rank and file officers. Part of the problem, according to PLEA President Joe Clure, was in the delivery. According to the original message sent to officers by the chief in mid-December, “within the first several weeks of 2013, all sworn members of the Phoenix Police Department will reaffirm their Oath of Office.”
“There’s nothing wrong with retaking the Oath of Office, however some officers, given the history we’ve experienced with the police chief drew the inference that somehow he doesn’t feel that we honor and respect the oath we took. That is a big deal and this is offensive,” said Clure, adding that Garcia did clarify that it was up to each individual to make the choice of whether or not to reaffirm their oath.
“That did help a little bit,” he said.
However, there seems to be a rift growing.
“In the six short months that he’s been here, the police chief has failed to make a connection with the rank and file police officers.
“He has essentially told them they don’t dress professionally, they needed a uniform change. He has told them, essentially, they don’t know how to do police work, in spite of the fact that we’ve come off of of 40-year-low crime stats. That they are undisciplined, therefore he’s rewriting the discipline police and now this comes out.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon