For the second year in a row, the Arizona adult education system has been ranked fourth in the nation for high school dropouts returning to get their GEDs.
Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction John Huppenthal said the high ranking bodes well for the state’s economy.
“We know that we have some challenges, but we’re also sensing that we’re part of the economic resurgence of Arizona and we’re contributing to that,” he said.
Huppenthal said the success is linked to partnerships with the community colleges, but there is still work to be done.
“We have made this a part of our legislative request so we can hire more teachers and move more students on through this process and make them better economic contributors in Arizona,” he said.
In 2012, over 12,600 people earned their GED in Arizona and about 6,000 are on a wait list for the program.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life