For the second year in a row, the Arizona adult education system has been ranked fourth in the nation for high school dropouts returning to get their GEDs.
Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction John Huppenthal said the high ranking bodes well for the state’s economy.
“We know that we have some challenges, but we’re also sensing that we’re part of the economic resurgence of Arizona and we’re contributing to that,” he said.
Huppenthal said the success is linked to partnerships with the community colleges, but there is still work to be done.
“We have made this a part of our legislative request so we can hire more teachers and move more students on through this process and make them better economic contributors in Arizona,” he said.
In 2012, over 12,600 people earned their GED in Arizona and about 6,000 are on a wait list for the program.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food