For the second year in a row, the Arizona adult education system has been ranked fourth in the nation for high school dropouts returning to get their GEDs.
Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction John Huppenthal said the high ranking bodes well for the state’s economy.
“We know that we have some challenges, but we’re also sensing that we’re part of the economic resurgence of Arizona and we’re contributing to that,” he said.
Huppenthal said the success is linked to partnerships with the community colleges, but there is still work to be done.
“We have made this a part of our legislative request so we can hire more teachers and move more students on through this process and make them better economic contributors in Arizona,” he said.
In 2012, over 12,600 people earned their GED in Arizona and about 6,000 are on a wait list for the program.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona