SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — If you’ve lost a job recently, you may have been putting out great work, but how clean was your language?
Some experts said bad language plays at least a role in about four out of every 10 firings.
“Foul language is an indicator of a bigger problem, an attitude that is affecting others on the team and probably affects how successful you are in your profession,” said Theresa Maher with Jobing.com.
Maher said your choice of words can definitely damage your chances of moving up at work
“It’s abrasive. You come across as harder and less polished and very much offends some of your co-workers. You’re basically affecting your overall brand as an employee. Things employers are looking for, such as, ‘Do you set a good example? Are you appropriate in the workplace and are you motivating people?'”
Foul language on the job is costing more people a paycheck and a climb up the company ladder. Maher said getting canned might be the least of your worries if you’re cussing at work.
“Depending on the words you use, this could definitely end up in a legal issue if you’re reported to HR.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.