SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — If you’ve lost a job recently, you may have been putting out great work, but how clean was your language?
Some experts said bad language plays at least a role in about four out of every 10 firings.
“Foul language is an indicator of a bigger problem, an attitude that is affecting others on the team and probably affects how successful you are in your profession,” said Theresa Maher with Jobing.com.
Maher said your choice of words can definitely damage your chances of moving up at work
“It’s abrasive. You come across as harder and less polished and very much offends some of your co-workers. You’re basically affecting your overall brand as an employee. Things employers are looking for, such as, ‘Do you set a good example? Are you appropriate in the workplace and are you motivating people?'”
Foul language on the job is costing more people a paycheck and a climb up the company ladder. Maher said getting canned might be the least of your worries if you’re cussing at work.
“Depending on the words you use, this could definitely end up in a legal issue if you’re reported to HR.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy