CHANDLER, Ariz. — Just days after a promotion was launched involving Deal Chicken and Desert Valley Firearms, the online coupon site has pulled the plug.
Desert Valley Firearms offered a $39 handgun safety training course that was big step toward getting a concealed handgun permit through the Arizona Department of Public Safety. Owner Dale Roddy said he received calls and emails from Deal Chicken on Tuesday informing him the deal was off.
“They told me basically the culture is changing.”
Living Social cancelled the same deal on Dec. 14, the day of the Connecticut school shooting.
Roddy believes that simply means Deal Chicken and Living Social feared backlash after the Sandy Hook school shooting and the increasing talk of tighter gun control, including a possible ban on assault weapons and extended ammunition clips.
“I’m just trying to teach people responsible use of handguns,” he said. “That’s what we’re preaching, nothing more. How to follow the laws. Learn what works and doesn’t work.”
Roddy said firearms dealers have been unfairly attacked since the school shootings and some callers opposed to guns have been filled with venom.
“One lady calling from Connecticut called me a merchant of death,” he said. “Anybody who knows me knows that I am not. It takes a toll emotionally and I understand what the families in Connecticut feel like. I lost two family members to gunfire. The reality is that the anti-gun movement puts a panic into the public and they want more guns, bullets, everything. It achieves the opposite of what they’re trying to do.”
Roddy said he will take a loss, but he will keep offering the $39 course which usually carries a price tag of $100 without Deal Chicken and Living Social “until the end of time if it helps train people how to be safe with handguns.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon