There’s another push to ban texting while driving in Arizona.
State Sen.-elect Steve Farley, D-Tucson, first introduced legislation in 2007. Since then, more than 40 states have enacted bans and Farley thinks this year might be Arizona’s time.
“As part of the new federal transportation bill, we now will become eligible for $11 million in federal money if we enact a texting ban this year,” he said.
The money, Farley said, must go to promote safety, which can include covering the pay for Department of Public Safety patrol officers.
“I have no illusion that just a law alone will make all the difference,” he said. “Because what you need to have is the law, you need to have education and you need to have enforcement, but the law is the key to it.”
Some Arizona communities, such as Phoenix and Tucson, already ban texting while driving within their city limits.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development