There’s another push to ban texting while driving in Arizona.
State Sen.-elect Steve Farley, D-Tucson, first introduced legislation in 2007. Since then, more than 40 states have enacted bans and Farley thinks this year might be Arizona’s time.
“As part of the new federal transportation bill, we now will become eligible for $11 million in federal money if we enact a texting ban this year,” he said.
The money, Farley said, must go to promote safety, which can include covering the pay for Department of Public Safety patrol officers.
“I have no illusion that just a law alone will make all the difference,” he said. “Because what you need to have is the law, you need to have education and you need to have enforcement, but the law is the key to it.”
Some Arizona communities, such as Phoenix and Tucson, already ban texting while driving within their city limits.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night