There’s another push to ban texting while driving in Arizona.
State Sen.-elect Steve Farley, D-Tucson, first introduced legislation in 2007. Since then, more than 40 states have enacted bans and Farley thinks this year might be Arizona’s time.
“As part of the new federal transportation bill, we now will become eligible for $11 million in federal money if we enact a texting ban this year,” he said.
The money, Farley said, must go to promote safety, which can include covering the pay for Department of Public Safety patrol officers.
“I have no illusion that just a law alone will make all the difference,” he said. “Because what you need to have is the law, you need to have education and you need to have enforcement, but the law is the key to it.”
Some Arizona communities, such as Phoenix and Tucson, already ban texting while driving within their city limits.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy