PHOENIX — Red state, blue state, how about purple state?
A Valley political analyst said Arizona is becoming more purple and will eventually turn to a blue state.
Arizona has long been a red state but Mike O’Neil said a shift to purple or blue is inevitable. Still, it won’t happen by the 2016 presidential election.
“The longterm demographic shift is clear. It has to do with migration, not just Hispanics but more people coming to Arizona from elsewhere,” O’Neil said. “We will not be a lock-red state anymore.”
But Republicans will have a lock on the state legislature until 2020, he said.
“Just because of the way the districts are. A Democrat could be elected governor but that Democrat starts with a 6 percent handicap.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas