PHOENIX — Arizona Congressman David Schweikert said the nation avoided the fiscal cliff but is still heading for dangerous territory.
The United States House approved the Senate package that stops huge middle-class tax hikes and across the board spending cuts from taking effect.
Schweikert, a Republican, opposed the package because he said it will only add more debt load onto the nation.
“We had a president who kept demanding a balanced approach. His own deficit commission said for every dollar in revenue we should have three dollars in spending cuts,” Schweikert said late Tuesday night.
“Guess what his balanced approach does? Spends more money. We’re going to run another trillion-dollar deficit this year. Are the Democrats and the president going to tell the truth on what they’re willing to do to reduce those crushing numbers?”
Arizona Republicans Jeff Flake, Trent Franks, Paul Gosar and Ben Quayle also voted no on the fiscal-cliff package. Arizona Democratic Congressmen Raul Grijalva, Ron Barber and Ed Pastor voted in support of the package.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl