PHOENIX — Arizona Congressman David Schweikert said the nation avoided the fiscal cliff but is still heading for dangerous territory.
The United States House approved the Senate package that stops huge middle-class tax hikes and across the board spending cuts from taking effect.
Schweikert, a Republican, opposed the package because he said it will only add more debt load onto the nation.
“We had a president who kept demanding a balanced approach. His own deficit commission said for every dollar in revenue we should have three dollars in spending cuts,” Schweikert said late Tuesday night.
“Guess what his balanced approach does? Spends more money. We’re going to run another trillion-dollar deficit this year. Are the Democrats and the president going to tell the truth on what they’re willing to do to reduce those crushing numbers?”
Arizona Republicans Jeff Flake, Trent Franks, Paul Gosar and Ben Quayle also voted no on the fiscal-cliff package. Arizona Democratic Congressmen Raul Grijalva, Ron Barber and Ed Pastor voted in support of the package.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas