PHOENIX — The just-concluded 2012 was the second-warmest year ever in the Valley.
The average temperature, factoring in the daytime highs and nighttime lows in Phoenix, was 76.7, nearly two degrees above normal, according to Mark O’Malley with the National Weather Service.
The warmest year on record was 1989, which saw an average temperature of 76.9.
“The past 10-15 years have been warmer and warmer in Phoenix and across Arizona. The trend is certainly there,” O’Malley said. “There’s a chance that each year is going to be in the top ten or twenty warmest years on record.”
Some of the metro area’s warmer temperatures can be traced to the heat island, O’Malley said. Asphalt and concrete absorb the daytime heat and slowly release it overnight.
There was also significant warmth across the state.
“When we look at some rural stations across the state, they’ve been warming as well. So the trend is there beyond the Valley,” O’Malley said.
Not only was it a warmer year, it was among the driest years on record. The Valley usually gets about eight inches of rain each year; 2012 brought just over four inches.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.