PHOENIX — The just-concluded 2012 was the second-warmest year ever in the Valley.
The average temperature, factoring in the daytime highs and nighttime lows in Phoenix, was 76.7, nearly two degrees above normal, according to Mark O’Malley with the National Weather Service.
The warmest year on record was 1989, which saw an average temperature of 76.9.
“The past 10-15 years have been warmer and warmer in Phoenix and across Arizona. The trend is certainly there,” O’Malley said. “There’s a chance that each year is going to be in the top ten or twenty warmest years on record.”
Some of the metro area’s warmer temperatures can be traced to the heat island, O’Malley said. Asphalt and concrete absorb the daytime heat and slowly release it overnight.
There was also significant warmth across the state.
“When we look at some rural stations across the state, they’ve been warming as well. So the trend is there beyond the Valley,” O’Malley said.
Not only was it a warmer year, it was among the driest years on record. The Valley usually gets about eight inches of rain each year; 2012 brought just over four inches.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl