PHOENIX — As celebrations get underway to ring in the new year, Triple-A wants to remind people to stay safe on the roads.
Several times a year, the agency offers a free service called “tipsy tow.” The program offers everyone, including non-members, a free one-way tow of up to 10 miles for the driver and one passenger.
Michelle Donati with Triple-A said they get a spike of calls after midnight.
“Once the ball drops…then we start to see people think about getting home at that point in time,” she said, adding that even though the “tipsy tow” service is an option, the best advice is to not drink and drive.
There’s a few things people taking part in the service need to know. Triple-A will not take passengers to another drinking establishment or a home other than their own. They will take drivers to a hotel if they’re a guest at the hotel or plan to become one.
The service begins at 6 p.m. New Year’s Eve and goes through 6 a.m. New Year’s Day. In order to get the service, people need to call 1-800-AAA-HELP (1-800-222-4357) during the service period, state that they need a tipsy tow, and provide the driver’s information. The service will be offered all across Arizona.
Donati said, should the service be unavailable, to call a taxi or a designated driver.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl