PHOENIX — As celebrations get underway to ring in the new year, Triple-A wants to remind people to stay safe on the roads.
Several times a year, the agency offers a free service called “tipsy tow.” The program offers everyone, including non-members, a free one-way tow of up to 10 miles for the driver and one passenger.
Michelle Donati with Triple-A said they get a spike of calls after midnight.
“Once the ball drops…then we start to see people think about getting home at that point in time,” she said, adding that even though the “tipsy tow” service is an option, the best advice is to not drink and drive.
There’s a few things people taking part in the service need to know. Triple-A will not take passengers to another drinking establishment or a home other than their own. They will take drivers to a hotel if they’re a guest at the hotel or plan to become one.
The service begins at 6 p.m. New Year’s Eve and goes through 6 a.m. New Year’s Day. In order to get the service, people need to call 1-800-AAA-HELP (1-800-222-4357) during the service period, state that they need a tipsy tow, and provide the driver’s information. The service will be offered all across Arizona.
Donati said, should the service be unavailable, to call a taxi or a designated driver.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food