PHOENIX – Phoenix Police Sergeant Tommy Thompson said an early morning wreck caused Interstate 17 at Glendale Avenue to be closed for hours as investigators try to figure out how and why an 18-year-old woman with a stab wound was being transported to a hospital by friends.
According to azfamily.com, the woman succumbed to her injuries in the hospital.
“9-1-1 is the fastest mode of getting aid in any type of an injury or anything that requires medical attention,” Sergeant Thompson said Saturday morning.
Investigators determined the woman was stabbed at an altercation at a different location. It is unknown at this time why her friends didn’t call the emergency helpline instead of transporting her themselves.
Sergeant Thompson said none of her friends were injured in the accident. At the time, the woman was transported to a local hospital in extremely critical condition.
The southbound lanes have since reopened following Saturday’s crash. Traffic was being re-routed and travelers were encouraged to use alternate routes.
Police are asking for anyone with information about what happened to call the Phoenix Police Department’s Violent Crimes Bureau at 602-262-6141.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.