PHOENIX – Phoenix Police Sergeant Tommy Thompson said an early morning wreck caused Interstate 17 at Glendale Avenue to be closed for hours as investigators try to figure out how and why an 18-year-old woman with a stab wound was being transported to a hospital by friends.
According to azfamily.com, the woman succumbed to her injuries in the hospital.
“9-1-1 is the fastest mode of getting aid in any type of an injury or anything that requires medical attention,” Sergeant Thompson said Saturday morning.
Investigators determined the woman was stabbed at an altercation at a different location. It is unknown at this time why her friends didn’t call the emergency helpline instead of transporting her themselves.
Sergeant Thompson said none of her friends were injured in the accident. At the time, the woman was transported to a local hospital in extremely critical condition.
The southbound lanes have since reopened following Saturday’s crash. Traffic was being re-routed and travelers were encouraged to use alternate routes.
Police are asking for anyone with information about what happened to call the Phoenix Police Department’s Violent Crimes Bureau at 602-262-6141.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food