PHOENIX – Phoenix Police Sergeant Tommy Thompson said an early morning wreck caused Interstate 17 at Glendale Avenue to be closed for hours as investigators try to figure out how and why an 18-year-old woman with a stab wound was being transported to a hospital by friends.
According to azfamily.com, the woman succumbed to her injuries in the hospital.
“9-1-1 is the fastest mode of getting aid in any type of an injury or anything that requires medical attention,” Sergeant Thompson said Saturday morning.
Investigators determined the woman was stabbed at an altercation at a different location. It is unknown at this time why her friends didn’t call the emergency helpline instead of transporting her themselves.
Sergeant Thompson said none of her friends were injured in the accident. At the time, the woman was transported to a local hospital in extremely critical condition.
The southbound lanes have since reopened following Saturday’s crash. Traffic was being re-routed and travelers were encouraged to use alternate routes.
Police are asking for anyone with information about what happened to call the Phoenix Police Department’s Violent Crimes Bureau at 602-262-6141.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl