PHOENIX — When Arizona lawmakers return to the capitol on Jan. 14, one group will be watching closely.
“Our political agenda is pretty straightforward,” said Serah Blain, executive director of the Secular Coalition of Arizona. “We just believe that civil rights and statutes should not be based on religious beliefs of people in power.”
Blain said the coalition formed after several secular groups became concerned over what they see as powerful groups pushing religious-focused legislation.
“We have a disproportionate number of conservative Christian legislators in a state where we have a pretty high level of non-theistic people so they’ve just had a disproportionate level of influence that we’d like to counter.”
Blain said her lobbying group will be paying attention to any bills involving reproductive healthcare, abortion or birth control.
Blain said they’d like to see legislation supporting more science-based sex education in public schools and an Oregon-style “Death with Dignity Act,” which makes physician-assisted suicide legal in some cases.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.