PHOENIX — When Arizona lawmakers return to the capitol on Jan. 14, one group will be watching closely.
“Our political agenda is pretty straightforward,” said Serah Blain, executive director of the Secular Coalition of Arizona. “We just believe that civil rights and statutes should not be based on religious beliefs of people in power.”
Blain said the coalition formed after several secular groups became concerned over what they see as powerful groups pushing religious-focused legislation.
“We have a disproportionate number of conservative Christian legislators in a state where we have a pretty high level of non-theistic people so they’ve just had a disproportionate level of influence that we’d like to counter.”
Blain said her lobbying group will be paying attention to any bills involving reproductive healthcare, abortion or birth control.
Blain said they’d like to see legislation supporting more science-based sex education in public schools and an Oregon-style “Death with Dignity Act,” which makes physician-assisted suicide legal in some cases.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development