PHOENIX — On Jan. 1, 2013, runners and walkers from across the country will take part in a 5K at the same time.
Organized by Life Time Fitness, the race is designed to encourage people to kick off the new year in a healthy way and commit to a healthy lifestyle throughout the year.
“Right now Arizona is, I think, the 12th-most obese state in the country with about 25 percent obesity rate,” said Kimo Seymour, race director for the Phoenix Commitment Day event. “And with the trends in obesity by 2030 it’ll be close to 60 percent.”
Seymour said the goal is to have about 100,000 participate around the country with 2,000 to 3,000 taking part in the Valley.
Tuesday’s event begins at the Scottsdale Civic Center at 9 a.m. Runners can register online or on-site the morning of the race.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development