PHOENIX — On Jan. 1, 2013, runners and walkers from across the country will take part in a 5K at the same time.
Organized by Life Time Fitness, the race is designed to encourage people to kick off the new year in a healthy way and commit to a healthy lifestyle throughout the year.
“Right now Arizona is, I think, the 12th-most obese state in the country with about 25 percent obesity rate,” said Kimo Seymour, race director for the Phoenix Commitment Day event. “And with the trends in obesity by 2030 it’ll be close to 60 percent.”
Seymour said the goal is to have about 100,000 participate around the country with 2,000 to 3,000 taking part in the Valley.
Tuesday’s event begins at the Scottsdale Civic Center at 9 a.m. Runners can register online or on-site the morning of the race.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them