LITCHFIELD PARK, ARIZ. — Veterans of Operation Desert Storm are calling it an honor to have battled alongside the late General Norman Schwarzkopf.
Major Edward Pulito served under Schwarzkopf during Desert Storm in the 1990s. He remembers the general as a people person.
“One of the things that he told us is ‘Mission first, people always,'” said Pulito. “Those are the kind of comments that really stick with you.
“When you hear his name, I’m going to get choked up. The reason is because I know what he did, I know what he did for the Kuwaiti people. And I know what he did in honoring the sacrifices of those that he led.”
Although he didn’t know Schwarzkopf personally, Pulito did shake hands with him several times and met him at several military events in Tampa after the war. He remembers the general’s retirement in 1992.
“He went out at the top of his game, at the top of his level,” said Pulito. “I don’t advocate for war. No one does, but the thing about it is that if you’re going to go to war, you need generals like that that have insight, that have drive, commitment, and more importantly, understand the battlefield principles.”
Pulito said that Schwarzkopf’s death is a tremendous loss for the United States.
“Anytime a patriot passes, we remember, we honor and we understand that the sacrifices that he and his family made for our country are not free.”
Schwarzkopf, who was the leader of coalition forces during Operation Desert Storm, died Thursday of pneumonia at the age of 78.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths