LITCHFIELD PARK, ARIZ. — America’s military heroes are being remembered this weekend at the annual Patriot All-America Collegiate Golf Tournament at the Wigwam resort in Litchfield Park.
A parachute jump, an F-16 fly-by and a Blackhawk helicopter takeoff were all part of Friday morning’s opening ceremonies. One hundred collegiate golfers from all over the country will play in the tournament, which raises money for the Folds of Honor Foundation. The group awards college scholarships to the families of fallen or wounded soldiers.
Each golfer will carry the name and story of a soldier on his golf bag. ASU golfer Austin Quick has the name of Sergeant First Class Daniel Susker on his bag.
“His Humvee was bombed in Iraq during a mission,” said Quick. “The Folds of Honor Foundation gave his son a full-ride scholarship. I think he’s only 6- or 7-years-old right now, but he has a full-ride scholarship to any college he wants to go.”
Quick said playing in the Patriot tournament is special.
“You realize out here that there’s something bigger than yourself,” he said. “You’re playing for a fallen soldier. The Folds of Honor Foundation has raised $13 million for the fallen soldiers’ families and scholarships for their kids. The whole background of this event is really cool.”
Sen. John McCain and Wigwam Resort co-owner Jerry Colangelo are co-chairmen of the Patriot Tournament.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night