LITCHFIELD PARK, ARIZ. — America’s military heroes are being remembered this weekend at the annual Patriot All-America Collegiate Golf Tournament at the Wigwam resort in Litchfield Park.
A parachute jump, an F-16 fly-by and a Blackhawk helicopter takeoff were all part of Friday morning’s opening ceremonies. One hundred collegiate golfers from all over the country will play in the tournament, which raises money for the Folds of Honor Foundation. The group awards college scholarships to the families of fallen or wounded soldiers.
Each golfer will carry the name and story of a soldier on his golf bag. ASU golfer Austin Quick has the name of Sergeant First Class Daniel Susker on his bag.
“His Humvee was bombed in Iraq during a mission,” said Quick. “The Folds of Honor Foundation gave his son a full-ride scholarship. I think he’s only 6- or 7-years-old right now, but he has a full-ride scholarship to any college he wants to go.”
Quick said playing in the Patriot tournament is special.
“You realize out here that there’s something bigger than yourself,” he said. “You’re playing for a fallen soldier. The Folds of Honor Foundation has raised $13 million for the fallen soldiers’ families and scholarships for their kids. The whole background of this event is really cool.”
Sen. John McCain and Wigwam Resort co-owner Jerry Colangelo are co-chairmen of the Patriot Tournament.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon