QUEEN CREEK, Ariz. — A 16-year-old Queen Creek girl is about place herself in the middle of the national political scene.
Higley High School junior Keeley Quinlan is one of 30 people nationwide who have been chosen to work as a Senate page for the next five months in Washington, D.C. Keeley applied to be a page in Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s office after she discovered that neither of Arizona’s two senators are currently participating in the page program.
Reid chose Quinlan to work in his office. She believes a few things made her stand out.
“With my school, I do a lot of leadership programs and skills,” she said. “I was part of a safety initiative where we tried to reach out to community members and tried to make everyone a safe driver. I think that really stuck out.”
Working as a page will keep Quinlan busy.
“We carry legislation,” she said. “We deliver bills, answer phone calls, and make sure the Senate chamber is prepared every morning.”
Quinlan, who is considering a career in journalism, thinks she’ll learn a lot over the next five months.
“I hope to gain exposure and experience,” she said. “You’re around a lot of prominent people. You’re around government jobs, so I get to see what happens and how our democratic society works.”
Quinlan was inspired to apply for the Senate page program by her brother Riley, who served as a page in the U.S. House.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets