PRESCOTT — You could get a real kick out of being in Prescott this New Year’s Eve.
That’s because the town will be welcoming in 2013 with its second annual Boot Drop. It’s a lighted boot that will drop from atop one of Whiskey Row’s saloons.
“One of the historic ones here is the Palace Restaurant and Saloon,” Robert Coombs of the Prescott Chamber of Commerce said. “It has the big wooden swinging doors. The boot will drop from their flagpole up at the top.”
Coombs said the boot will drop twice on New Year’s Eve.
“There’ll be the boot drop at 10 p.m., for people who don’t want to stay up late,” said Coombs. “Then, there’ll be one at midnight, which will be followed by fireworks.”
Coombs said that a fire that destroyed the nearby Bird Cage Saloon in May will have no effect on this year’s celebration.
“The fire was just one building which housed three different individual buildings, and that’s being restored even as we speak,” said Coombs. “Only a very, very small part of Whiskey Row was affected by that fire.”
There is no admission charge for Monday night’s celebration. It gets underway at 8 p.m., and includes booths and live entertainment.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever