PHOENIX — U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack is warning that you could soon be paying as much as $7 for a gallon of milk.
It’s because an agriculture bill that provides government subsidies to farmers expired last summer.
Vilsack says that if a new farm bill isn’t passed soon, Congress may have to revert to a 1949 law that forces the government to buy milk from farmers at twice today’s average price of $3.65 a gallon. Vilsack says the government could then pass those costs along to you.
But United Dairymen of Arizona CEO Keith Murfield doesn’t think that’s going to happen.
“Even if the farm bill does not get signed, and the financial cliff happens, I don’t see any changes in the milk price,” Murfield said. “In fact, in January, we’re going to see the milk price go down 20 cents a gallon from December.”
That’s because milk prices are tied to butter and cheese. “The butter powder market and the cheese market have dropped in the last month, which will affect the price of what we drink out of the bottle from the stores,” said Murfield.
But Murfield says if congressional Republicans and President Obama don’t come to an agreement to avert the “fiscal cliff,” the earliest that we could see an impact on milk prices would be in March.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy