It seems every week we hear about a new restaurant opening in the Valley, but they’re not fast food or fine dining establishments.
Instead, they’re considered fast casual restaurants, like Capriotti’s Sandwiches, which opened in mid-December near 16th St. and Bethany Home Rd. in Phoenix.
It’s the second Capriotti’s franchise for Adam Gilburne and his partner, “I think what’s happened is that people have re-adjusted what they’re used to.”
Gilburne said nearly all restaurants suffered financially in 2007 and 2008. Then, in 2010 and 2011, he said people started eating out again, patronizing fast casual places rather than full-service restaurants,
“You know, for $8 or $9, you can get a high quality meal with no tip,” he said.
Chicago-based Portillo’s plans to open two Valley locations in 2013, one near Tempe Marketplace should open in late summer, the other at 90th St. and Shea in Scottsdale will open in February. Eric Peterson, Vice President of Portillo’s Restaurant Group, said they’re looking to hire about 200 people for their Scottsdale store.
“Anywhere from greeters to order takers to cashiers to sandwich makers. We have extremely flexible hours and we’ll have a mix of both full-time and part-time employees.”
Starting Jan. 3, applicants can apply in person at Portillo’s hiring center at 9160 E. Shea Blvd., Unit 103A in Scottsdale. You can also pick up and drop off applications at a mailbox located at the restaurant’s site at the southwest corner of 90th St. and Shea.
Pita Pit is also moving into the Valley. An Arizona couple has signed a franchise agreement to bring 11 locations to the market, starting in Tempe early next year.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise