When it comes to protecting Arizona schools, Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne said, while he would prefer armed police officers in every school, the idea is not financially viable and arming faculty is a good second option.
“It’s unlikely the legislature is going to be able to afford to pay for a policeman in every school,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Karie & Chuck on Thursday. “This is the second best proposal.”
Horne’s proposal would see one volunteer faculty member, likely the principal, at each school trained in handling a firearm and emergency situation response. Once they complete the course, that faculty member would be permitted to keep a firearm in a secure location on school property. Their name would not be released.
“I see my proposal as a golden mean between two extremes,” said Horne. “One extreme, as people have proposed, would let any teacher who wants to to bring guns to school. I think that would create more danger than it would solve.”
Horne said the other extreme is not doing anything and possibly allowing another incident similar to that in Newtown, Conn. to occur.
Overall, Horne said he has received many messages of support, including some from county sheriffs, but some teachers’ unions said they feel multiple guns on campus will create more potential violence. Horne said he shares that fear.
“If you have a lot of guns around the school, kids will get at them,” he said. “It could cause a lot of trouble. When teachers confiscate cell phones, sometimes kids can break the locks and get at their cell phones. It wouldn’t be safe to have a lot of people bringing guns.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development