When it comes to protecting Arizona schools, Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne said, while he would prefer armed police officers in every school, the idea is not financially viable and arming faculty is a good second option.
“It’s unlikely the legislature is going to be able to afford to pay for a policeman in every school,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Karie & Chuck on Thursday. “This is the second best proposal.”
Horne’s proposal would see one volunteer faculty member, likely the principal, at each school trained in handling a firearm and emergency situation response. Once they complete the course, that faculty member would be permitted to keep a firearm in a secure location on school property. Their name would not be released.
“I see my proposal as a golden mean between two extremes,” said Horne. “One extreme, as people have proposed, would let any teacher who wants to to bring guns to school. I think that would create more danger than it would solve.”
Horne said the other extreme is not doing anything and possibly allowing another incident similar to that in Newtown, Conn. to occur.
Overall, Horne said he has received many messages of support, including some from county sheriffs, but some teachers’ unions said they feel multiple guns on campus will create more potential violence. Horne said he shares that fear.
“If you have a lot of guns around the school, kids will get at them,” he said. “It could cause a lot of trouble. When teachers confiscate cell phones, sometimes kids can break the locks and get at their cell phones. It wouldn’t be safe to have a lot of people bringing guns.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas