This year especially, stores will be heavily discounted due to a disappointing increase in holiday sales of only 0.7 percent, rather than the projected 2.5 percent, according to an article by CBS.
This makes it the worse season since 2008, which could be due to various factors.
“Whether it was Hurricane Sandy and the need to spend on the home, whether it was the tragedy in Connecticut and took away the feel good factor — it was a confluence of events that led to a 'it should have been better' holiday season,” said Dana Telsey, a retail analyst for CBS.
If a sale isn't at least 50 percent off, consumers shouldn't consider it a deal after Dec. 26, according to a study done by Nerd Wallet.
Of the 117 major national retailers that were analyzed, 68 percent offered at least one large item that was discounted 50 percent or more, according to a 2009 study.
The most discounted items are clothing, cosmetics, holiday decorations, toys, shoes, clearance and bags, since the demand for these items fall after Christmas. Evergreen items — or things hat are not seasonal — are unlikely to be discounted. But winter clothing items, or toys like LEGOs suddenly have little use and stores want them out.
For example, this year Calvin Klein offered up to 75 percent off on all clearance, while Tommy Hilfiger had 30 percent off storewide.
Huge discounts are offered because if retailers don't eliminate leftover stock soon after Christmas, these items have to be sent to discount stores, outlets or donated to charities.
But these discounts could deepen even more as retailers become more desperate for sales. There will be new data from retailers next week, which could show improved sales and improved news for companies.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl