This year especially, stores will be heavily discounted due to a disappointing increase in holiday sales of only 0.7 percent, rather than the projected 2.5 percent, according to an article by CBS.
This makes it the worse season since 2008, which could be due to various factors.
“Whether it was Hurricane Sandy and the need to spend on the home, whether it was the tragedy in Connecticut and took away the feel good factor — it was a confluence of events that led to a 'it should have been better' holiday season,” said Dana Telsey, a retail analyst for CBS.
If a sale isn't at least 50 percent off, consumers shouldn't consider it a deal after Dec. 26, according to a study done by Nerd Wallet.
Of the 117 major national retailers that were analyzed, 68 percent offered at least one large item that was discounted 50 percent or more, according to a 2009 study.
The most discounted items are clothing, cosmetics, holiday decorations, toys, shoes, clearance and bags, since the demand for these items fall after Christmas. Evergreen items — or things hat are not seasonal — are unlikely to be discounted. But winter clothing items, or toys like LEGOs suddenly have little use and stores want them out.
For example, this year Calvin Klein offered up to 75 percent off on all clearance, while Tommy Hilfiger had 30 percent off storewide.
Huge discounts are offered because if retailers don't eliminate leftover stock soon after Christmas, these items have to be sent to discount stores, outlets or donated to charities.
But these discounts could deepen even more as retailers become more desperate for sales. There will be new data from retailers next week, which could show improved sales and improved news for companies.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food