This time of year we’re, inundated with calls to help charities, so how do you get the most bang for your buck?
Certified Public Accountant Shauna Wekherlien said the first thing consumers should do is check out a group’s 501(c) status.
“In order to even get the classification of a 501(c), that process can take an organization almost two years so most scam artists won’t go through the process of getting a 501(c) status,” she said.
Consumers can check a group’s tax-exempt status at irs.gov.
Consumers can get an idea of how much of your donation will help those in need compared to salaries and other costs by checking out a group’s annual report. charitynavigator.org ranks groups by popularity, financial security and effectiveness.
Wekherlien also suggested consumers visit a charity to get an idea of how they’re spending donations by stopping by the office or even volunteering for a day.
More information is available at irs.gov.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered