This time of year we’re, inundated with calls to help charities, so how do you get the most bang for your buck?
Certified Public Accountant Shauna Wekherlien said the first thing consumers should do is check out a group’s 501(c) status.
“In order to even get the classification of a 501(c), that process can take an organization almost two years so most scam artists won’t go through the process of getting a 501(c) status,” she said.
Consumers can check a group’s tax-exempt status at irs.gov.
Consumers can get an idea of how much of your donation will help those in need compared to salaries and other costs by checking out a group’s annual report. charitynavigator.org ranks groups by popularity, financial security and effectiveness.
Wekherlien also suggested consumers visit a charity to get an idea of how they’re spending donations by stopping by the office or even volunteering for a day.
More information is available at irs.gov.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick