While the holidays are about spending time with family, whether it’s eating, laughing, talking or opening gifts, it’s also a time to be extra careful when it comes to staying safe.
APS has seven tips for customers to stay safe this holiday season:
Use the right ladder: When hanging decorations outside, use a wooden or fiberglass ladder for climbing and make sure it is against a secured surface.
Upgrade to LEDs: These light-emitting diode lights “burn” cooler making them less of a fire risk than traditional lights. They also use 90 percent less energy.
Read toy hazards and instructions: Electric toys that do not require batteries should be supervised by adults. Some toy chargers/adapters can create thermal burn hazards to young children.
Keep pets away from wires: If lights are hung indoors, spray electrical wires with a bite-repelling scent to help prevent the risk electrical shock.
Be cautious when baking: Use glass and metal pans appropriately. Always lower the oven temperature by 25 degrees if substituting a glass pan for a metal pan.
Try battery-powered candles: These are a great alternative to regular candles and don’t pose the same risk as those with flames.
Avoid using nails or tacks: When hanging holiday lights, use insulated staples or plastic hooks instead.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.