While the holidays are about spending time with family, whether it’s eating, laughing, talking or opening gifts, it’s also a time to be extra careful when it comes to staying safe.
APS has seven tips for customers to stay safe this holiday season:
Use the right ladder: When hanging decorations outside, use a wooden or fiberglass ladder for climbing and make sure it is against a secured surface.
Upgrade to LEDs: These light-emitting diode lights “burn” cooler making them less of a fire risk than traditional lights. They also use 90 percent less energy.
Read toy hazards and instructions: Electric toys that do not require batteries should be supervised by adults. Some toy chargers/adapters can create thermal burn hazards to young children.
Keep pets away from wires: If lights are hung indoors, spray electrical wires with a bite-repelling scent to help prevent the risk electrical shock.
Be cautious when baking: Use glass and metal pans appropriately. Always lower the oven temperature by 25 degrees if substituting a glass pan for a metal pan.
Try battery-powered candles: These are a great alternative to regular candles and don’t pose the same risk as those with flames.
Avoid using nails or tacks: When hanging holiday lights, use insulated staples or plastic hooks instead.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night