While the holidays are about spending time with family, whether it’s eating, laughing, talking or opening gifts, it’s also a time to be extra careful when it comes to staying safe.
APS has seven tips for customers to stay safe this holiday season:
Use the right ladder: When hanging decorations outside, use a wooden or fiberglass ladder for climbing and make sure it is against a secured surface.
Upgrade to LEDs: These light-emitting diode lights “burn” cooler making them less of a fire risk than traditional lights. They also use 90 percent less energy.
Read toy hazards and instructions: Electric toys that do not require batteries should be supervised by adults. Some toy chargers/adapters can create thermal burn hazards to young children.
Keep pets away from wires: If lights are hung indoors, spray electrical wires with a bite-repelling scent to help prevent the risk electrical shock.
Be cautious when baking: Use glass and metal pans appropriately. Always lower the oven temperature by 25 degrees if substituting a glass pan for a metal pan.
Try battery-powered candles: These are a great alternative to regular candles and don’t pose the same risk as those with flames.
Avoid using nails or tacks: When hanging holiday lights, use insulated staples or plastic hooks instead.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon