A potential strike by light rail operators was avoided Friday after the two sides in a labor debate came to an agreement.
The Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 1433 and light rail operations contractor, Alternate Concepts, Inc. (ACI) agreed to submit their issues to a legally binding arbitration process set to begin in early 2013. The arbitrator’s decision will be final.
“We are relieved that our passengers will not be affected, especially this holiday season,” said Valley Metro CEO Steve Banta in a release.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said in the release that he was pleased that a work stoppage was avoided.
“I’m pleased that these discussions will continue because it’s critical that our light rail system keeps running and that service is provided across the region,” said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton, Chairman of the Valley Metro Rail Board. “I have spoken to both sides on this issue and I stand ready to work with them toward a long-term resolution.”
The current collective bargaining agreement between the parties was scheduled to run out on Dec. 31, 2012.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy