A potential strike by light rail operators was avoided Friday after the two sides in a labor debate came to an agreement.
The Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 1433 and light rail operations contractor, Alternate Concepts, Inc. (ACI) agreed to submit their issues to a legally binding arbitration process set to begin in early 2013. The arbitrator’s decision will be final.
“We are relieved that our passengers will not be affected, especially this holiday season,” said Valley Metro CEO Steve Banta in a release.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said in the release that he was pleased that a work stoppage was avoided.
“I’m pleased that these discussions will continue because it’s critical that our light rail system keeps running and that service is provided across the region,” said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton, Chairman of the Valley Metro Rail Board. “I have spoken to both sides on this issue and I stand ready to work with them toward a long-term resolution.”
The current collective bargaining agreement between the parties was scheduled to run out on Dec. 31, 2012.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development