A potential strike by light rail operators was avoided Friday after the two sides in a labor debate came to an agreement.
The Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 1433 and light rail operations contractor, Alternate Concepts, Inc. (ACI) agreed to submit their issues to a legally binding arbitration process set to begin in early 2013. The arbitrator’s decision will be final.
“We are relieved that our passengers will not be affected, especially this holiday season,” said Valley Metro CEO Steve Banta in a release.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said in the release that he was pleased that a work stoppage was avoided.
“I’m pleased that these discussions will continue because it’s critical that our light rail system keeps running and that service is provided across the region,” said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton, Chairman of the Valley Metro Rail Board. “I have spoken to both sides on this issue and I stand ready to work with them toward a long-term resolution.”
The current collective bargaining agreement between the parties was scheduled to run out on Dec. 31, 2012.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier