A potential strike by light rail operators was avoided Friday after the two sides in a labor debate came to an agreement.
The Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 1433 and light rail operations contractor, Alternate Concepts, Inc. (ACI) agreed to submit their issues to a legally binding arbitration process set to begin in early 2013. The arbitrator’s decision will be final.
“We are relieved that our passengers will not be affected, especially this holiday season,” said Valley Metro CEO Steve Banta in a release.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said in the release that he was pleased that a work stoppage was avoided.
“I’m pleased that these discussions will continue because it’s critical that our light rail system keeps running and that service is provided across the region,” said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton, Chairman of the Valley Metro Rail Board. “I have spoken to both sides on this issue and I stand ready to work with them toward a long-term resolution.”
The current collective bargaining agreement between the parties was scheduled to run out on Dec. 31, 2012.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees