Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said changes are needed to ensure the safety of children and all citizens.
“Now, is the right time to act,” he said.
Stanton is one of four Arizona mayors that are members of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which, according to the organization’s website, is a coalition of about 700 mayors “committed to working with our fellow mayors to share best practices, develop innovative policies, and support legislation at the national, state, and local levels that will help law enforcement target illegal guns.”
Stanton is also part of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, which sent an open letter to the president and Congress asking for more restrictive gun laws.
“We’re asking for smart public policy, public policy that we know will reduce gun violence, hopefully reduce the number of deaths as a result of gun violence and we think it’s the right direction for our country,” said Stanton.
Some of the changes Stanton would like to see happen include stopping the sale of high capacity magazines, assault weapons and closing gun show loopholes.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night