Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said changes are needed to ensure the safety of children and all citizens.
“Now, is the right time to act,” he said.
Stanton is one of four Arizona mayors that are members of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which, according to the organization’s website, is a coalition of about 700 mayors “committed to working with our fellow mayors to share best practices, develop innovative policies, and support legislation at the national, state, and local levels that will help law enforcement target illegal guns.”
Stanton is also part of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, which sent an open letter to the president and Congress asking for more restrictive gun laws.
“We’re asking for smart public policy, public policy that we know will reduce gun violence, hopefully reduce the number of deaths as a result of gun violence and we think it’s the right direction for our country,” said Stanton.
Some of the changes Stanton would like to see happen include stopping the sale of high capacity magazines, assault weapons and closing gun show loopholes.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier