Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said changes are needed to ensure the safety of children and all citizens.
“Now, is the right time to act,” he said.
Stanton is one of four Arizona mayors that are members of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which, according to the organization’s website, is a coalition of about 700 mayors “committed to working with our fellow mayors to share best practices, develop innovative policies, and support legislation at the national, state, and local levels that will help law enforcement target illegal guns.”
Stanton is also part of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, which sent an open letter to the president and Congress asking for more restrictive gun laws.
“We’re asking for smart public policy, public policy that we know will reduce gun violence, hopefully reduce the number of deaths as a result of gun violence and we think it’s the right direction for our country,” said Stanton.
Some of the changes Stanton would like to see happen include stopping the sale of high capacity magazines, assault weapons and closing gun show loopholes.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development