PHOENIX — A Valley economist said Friday political arrogance is jeopardizing the nation’s economy.
Arizonans will be shelling out much more in taxes and the state could lose 50,000 jobs if Congress can’t get its act together on a budget by Jan. 1.
That’s just the beginning, according to economist Jim Rounds with Elliott D. Pollack and Company in Scottsdale.
“They need to get something done,” he said. “If Congress can’t reach a deal before Christmas then right after Christmas they need to get their butts back in Washington DC and get it done.”
Rounds said there’s no excuse for Congress and the president being unable to reach a compromise. Rounds said a deal could be hammered out in about two hours and the two sides are not that far apart.
“Set the income level for increased taxes at $500,000. Do the cuts and phase them in over five years — you’re done. No recession next year and the economy is in better shape for it. The economics and common sense should be simple at this point.”
Rounds said he believes a deal will be in place by the deadline to keep the country going off the cliff.
“But you get these idiots together and they’re doing it for a standoff with no real reason,” he said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food