PHOENIX — A Valley economist said Friday political arrogance is jeopardizing the nation’s economy.
Arizonans will be shelling out much more in taxes and the state could lose 50,000 jobs if Congress can’t get its act together on a budget by Jan. 1.
That’s just the beginning, according to economist Jim Rounds with Elliott D. Pollack and Company in Scottsdale.
“They need to get something done,” he said. “If Congress can’t reach a deal before Christmas then right after Christmas they need to get their butts back in Washington DC and get it done.”
Rounds said there’s no excuse for Congress and the president being unable to reach a compromise. Rounds said a deal could be hammered out in about two hours and the two sides are not that far apart.
“Set the income level for increased taxes at $500,000. Do the cuts and phase them in over five years — you’re done. No recession next year and the economy is in better shape for it. The economics and common sense should be simple at this point.”
Rounds said he believes a deal will be in place by the deadline to keep the country going off the cliff.
“But you get these idiots together and they’re doing it for a standoff with no real reason,” he said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier