PHOENIX — A Valley economist said Friday political arrogance is jeopardizing the nation’s economy.
Arizonans will be shelling out much more in taxes and the state could lose 50,000 jobs if Congress can’t get its act together on a budget by Jan. 1.
That’s just the beginning, according to economist Jim Rounds with Elliott D. Pollack and Company in Scottsdale.
“They need to get something done,” he said. “If Congress can’t reach a deal before Christmas then right after Christmas they need to get their butts back in Washington DC and get it done.”
Rounds said there’s no excuse for Congress and the president being unable to reach a compromise. Rounds said a deal could be hammered out in about two hours and the two sides are not that far apart.
“Set the income level for increased taxes at $500,000. Do the cuts and phase them in over five years — you’re done. No recession next year and the economy is in better shape for it. The economics and common sense should be simple at this point.”
Rounds said he believes a deal will be in place by the deadline to keep the country going off the cliff.
“But you get these idiots together and they’re doing it for a standoff with no real reason,” he said.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona