Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has proclaimed Dec. 21 a day of mourning in the state for the shootings in Newtown, Conn.
In a proclamation, Brewer asked Arizona residents to honor a moment of silence at 9:30 a.m. She also asked houses of worship and government buildings that have a bell to ring it 26 times during that moment of silence to honor the victims.
The proclamation said Arizona can commiserate with the residents of Newtown because it “knows all-too-well the horror and heartbreak of an act so senseless and cruel,” a clear reference to the January 2011 shooting that killed six and wounded 13 others, including then-Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.
Brewer said Arizona cannot heal or provide closure to Connecticut, but it can “offer our eternal support and solidarity.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development