PHOENIX — One of America’s top pro golfers is stepping up to help Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
While helping children with their skills on a putting green inside Phoenix Children’s Hospital on Thursday, Bubba Watson joined Ping in presenting a $250,000 check to the hospital. The money will be used to build a new orthopedic gait lab.
Watson said a lot of kids will be helped.
“[Doctors can] watch them on a computer screen…and see how they walk and different things, to pick certain joints which really cause the kids problems,” he said. “They can see it through computers at this lab and help fix the problem.”
The 2,800-square-foot lab will help kids with neuromuscular diseases and disabilities. Watson said it was a great opportunity for him to help others.
“I play golf for a living, but I get to give back and be part of a hospital like this, give back to a community like this, hopefully impact some kids in the right way and do some positive things,” he said.
Watson lives in the Valley and recently adopted a child. He fought through tears as he talked about helping PCH.
“To have my name associated with this hospital….it’s an honor,” he said. “And so, I thank you very much.”
The money was raised through the sale of 5,000 Ping Pink G-20 drivers, much like the one Watson used to win the Master’s Championship.
After the press conference, Watson donated $110,000 of his own money, meaning PCH now has the necessary $1 million to build the lab. The hospital did not say where the other $640,000 came from.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof