PHOENIX — One of America’s top pro golfers is stepping up to help Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
While helping children with their skills on a putting green inside Phoenix Children’s Hospital on Thursday, Bubba Watson joined Ping in presenting a $250,000 check to the hospital. The money will be used to build a new orthopedic gait lab.
Watson said a lot of kids will be helped.
“[Doctors can] watch them on a computer screen…and see how they walk and different things, to pick certain joints which really cause the kids problems,” he said. “They can see it through computers at this lab and help fix the problem.”
The 2,800-square-foot lab will help kids with neuromuscular diseases and disabilities. Watson said it was a great opportunity for him to help others.
“I play golf for a living, but I get to give back and be part of a hospital like this, give back to a community like this, hopefully impact some kids in the right way and do some positive things,” he said.
Watson lives in the Valley and recently adopted a child. He fought through tears as he talked about helping PCH.
“To have my name associated with this hospital….it’s an honor,” he said. “And so, I thank you very much.”
The money was raised through the sale of 5,000 Ping Pink G-20 drivers, much like the one Watson used to win the Master’s Championship.
After the press conference, Watson donated $110,000 of his own money, meaning PCH now has the necessary $1 million to build the lab. The hospital did not say where the other $640,000 came from.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas