PHOENIX — One of America’s top pro golfers is stepping up to help Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
While helping children with their skills on a putting green inside Phoenix Children’s Hospital on Thursday, Bubba Watson joined Ping in presenting a $250,000 check to the hospital. The money will be used to build a new orthopedic gait lab.
Watson said a lot of kids will be helped.
“[Doctors can] watch them on a computer screen…and see how they walk and different things, to pick certain joints which really cause the kids problems,” he said. “They can see it through computers at this lab and help fix the problem.”
The 2,800-square-foot lab will help kids with neuromuscular diseases and disabilities. Watson said it was a great opportunity for him to help others.
“I play golf for a living, but I get to give back and be part of a hospital like this, give back to a community like this, hopefully impact some kids in the right way and do some positive things,” he said.
Watson lives in the Valley and recently adopted a child. He fought through tears as he talked about helping PCH.
“To have my name associated with this hospital….it’s an honor,” he said. “And so, I thank you very much.”
The money was raised through the sale of 5,000 Ping Pink G-20 drivers, much like the one Watson used to win the Master’s Championship.
After the press conference, Watson donated $110,000 of his own money, meaning PCH now has the necessary $1 million to build the lab. The hospital did not say where the other $640,000 came from.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy