PHOENIX — Santa Claus and dozens of his uniformed helpers brightened the holidays Thursday for some very special children in south Phoenix.
Phoenix police officers delivered gifts they paid for out of their own pockets to the children at Hacienda Healthcare Center.
The department has made the special delivery for 23 years.
The children here have developmental issues, suffered traumatic injuries or have other medical issues. Officer Mercedes Fortune said the gift-giving leaves her with an amazing feeling.
“Seeing it just warms my heart. It puts everything in perspective with me being a mom,” she said.
It’s the fifth year delivering toys for Sgt. Scott McCauley. He said it took on a new meaning after the tragic events last Friday in Connecticut with the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
“Most of us have kids of our own and it warms the soul to give back,” he said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development