PHOENIX — Santa Claus and dozens of his uniformed helpers brightened the holidays Thursday for some very special children in south Phoenix.
Phoenix police officers delivered gifts they paid for out of their own pockets to the children at Hacienda Healthcare Center.
The department has made the special delivery for 23 years.
The children here have developmental issues, suffered traumatic injuries or have other medical issues. Officer Mercedes Fortune said the gift-giving leaves her with an amazing feeling.
“Seeing it just warms my heart. It puts everything in perspective with me being a mom,” she said.
It’s the fifth year delivering toys for Sgt. Scott McCauley. He said it took on a new meaning after the tragic events last Friday in Connecticut with the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
“Most of us have kids of our own and it warms the soul to give back,” he said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night