PHOENIX — Santa Claus and dozens of his uniformed helpers brightened the holidays Thursday for some very special children in south Phoenix.
Phoenix police officers delivered gifts they paid for out of their own pockets to the children at Hacienda Healthcare Center.
The department has made the special delivery for 23 years.
The children here have developmental issues, suffered traumatic injuries or have other medical issues. Officer Mercedes Fortune said the gift-giving leaves her with an amazing feeling.
“Seeing it just warms my heart. It puts everything in perspective with me being a mom,” she said.
It’s the fifth year delivering toys for Sgt. Scott McCauley. He said it took on a new meaning after the tragic events last Friday in Connecticut with the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
“Most of us have kids of our own and it warms the soul to give back,” he said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier