BUCKEYE, Ariz. — The Buckeye Fire Department is doing what it can to let the families of the children killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. know that people in Arizona are thinking of them.
Firefighter Mike Russell said his team designed and shipped out 100 “hope” T-shirts to the parents of the victims, and they should be receiving the shirts Thursday. The yellow T-shirts have an angel on the front with the Dec. 14 date and a phrase on the back that said “love them all.”
Russell is a father and said he can’t begin to understand what the community of Sandy Hook is going through. His own hope is that the shirts will bring some comfort to those who lost loved ones.
“If the family and those guys wear them on Friday, I think people are going to really want the shirt to show their support,” Russell said in an interview Wednesday.
Friday marks exactly one week since authorities said Adam Lanza, 20, opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary and killed 20 children and six teachers.
For those who would like to purchase a T-shirt they’re on sale for $20 at the Buckeye Fire Department Station 703 Headquarters at 2582 North Verrado Way, Buckeye, AZ 85396 Verrado.
The station is just off the I-10 and Verrado Way, about a mile north of I-10 on the west side of the street.
All of the funds collected by Buckeye Firefighter Charities will be distributed to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund. For more information call Buckeye administration at (602) 292-4311.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever