BUCKEYE, Ariz. — The Buckeye Fire Department is doing what it can to let the families of the children killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. know that people in Arizona are thinking of them.
Firefighter Mike Russell said his team designed and shipped out 100 “hope” T-shirts to the parents of the victims, and they should be receiving the shirts Thursday. The yellow T-shirts have an angel on the front with the Dec. 14 date and a phrase on the back that said “love them all.”
Russell is a father and said he can’t begin to understand what the community of Sandy Hook is going through. His own hope is that the shirts will bring some comfort to those who lost loved ones.
“If the family and those guys wear them on Friday, I think people are going to really want the shirt to show their support,” Russell said in an interview Wednesday.
Friday marks exactly one week since authorities said Adam Lanza, 20, opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary and killed 20 children and six teachers.
For those who would like to purchase a T-shirt they’re on sale for $20 at the Buckeye Fire Department Station 703 Headquarters at 2582 North Verrado Way, Buckeye, AZ 85396 Verrado.
The station is just off the I-10 and Verrado Way, about a mile north of I-10 on the west side of the street.
All of the funds collected by Buckeye Firefighter Charities will be distributed to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund. For more information call Buckeye administration at (602) 292-4311.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas