BUCKEYE, Ariz. — The Buckeye Fire Department is doing what it can to let the families of the children killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. know that people in Arizona are thinking of them.
Firefighter Mike Russell said his team designed and shipped out 100 “hope” T-shirts to the parents of the victims, and they should be receiving the shirts Thursday. The yellow T-shirts have an angel on the front with the Dec. 14 date and a phrase on the back that said “love them all.”
Russell is a father and said he can’t begin to understand what the community of Sandy Hook is going through. His own hope is that the shirts will bring some comfort to those who lost loved ones.
“If the family and those guys wear them on Friday, I think people are going to really want the shirt to show their support,” Russell said in an interview Wednesday.
Friday marks exactly one week since authorities said Adam Lanza, 20, opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary and killed 20 children and six teachers.
For those who would like to purchase a T-shirt they’re on sale for $20 at the Buckeye Fire Department Station 703 Headquarters at 2582 North Verrado Way, Buckeye, AZ 85396 Verrado.
The station is just off the I-10 and Verrado Way, about a mile north of I-10 on the west side of the street.
All of the funds collected by Buckeye Firefighter Charities will be distributed to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund. For more information call Buckeye administration at (602) 292-4311.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon