PHOENIX — An organization that advocates for pro-gun laws in Arizona is considering options for 2013 legislation. The announcement comes in the wake of the Connecticut massacre of 27 people, including 20 children.
“We’re horrified. Our hearts go out to them, it’s just terrible,” Arizona Citizens Defense League spokesman Charles Heller said.
However, despite the recent tragedy, Heller doesn’t believe gun bans or other infringements on other civil liberties send the right message.
“The use of this incident to remove freedom from some people is sick,” said Heller.
One of the ideas being tossed around among group members is a law that would allow teachers, with past military or law enforcement experience and who undergo specialized training, to carry weapons at schools.
“If we allowed those people to be armed and trained, that might be an appropriate way to deal with these threats,” said Heller.
Heller adds that the idea is to not turn schools into a fire base, but rather seriously focus on the enhanced protection of children.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon