PHOENIX — An organization that advocates for pro-gun laws in Arizona is considering options for 2013 legislation. The announcement comes in the wake of the Connecticut massacre of 27 people, including 20 children.
“We’re horrified. Our hearts go out to them, it’s just terrible,” Arizona Citizens Defense League spokesman Charles Heller said.
However, despite the recent tragedy, Heller doesn’t believe gun bans or other infringements on other civil liberties send the right message.
“The use of this incident to remove freedom from some people is sick,” said Heller.
One of the ideas being tossed around among group members is a law that would allow teachers, with past military or law enforcement experience and who undergo specialized training, to carry weapons at schools.
“If we allowed those people to be armed and trained, that might be an appropriate way to deal with these threats,” said Heller.
Heller adds that the idea is to not turn schools into a fire base, but rather seriously focus on the enhanced protection of children.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night