PHOENIX — An organization that advocates for pro-gun laws in Arizona is considering options for 2013 legislation. The announcement comes in the wake of the Connecticut massacre of 27 people, including 20 children.
“We’re horrified. Our hearts go out to them, it’s just terrible,” Arizona Citizens Defense League spokesman Charles Heller said.
However, despite the recent tragedy, Heller doesn’t believe gun bans or other infringements on other civil liberties send the right message.
“The use of this incident to remove freedom from some people is sick,” said Heller.
One of the ideas being tossed around among group members is a law that would allow teachers, with past military or law enforcement experience and who undergo specialized training, to carry weapons at schools.
“If we allowed those people to be armed and trained, that might be an appropriate way to deal with these threats,” said Heller.
Heller adds that the idea is to not turn schools into a fire base, but rather seriously focus on the enhanced protection of children.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever