TEMPE, Ariz. — Volunteers in a Tempe warehouse are spending the days before Christmas getting ready to ship a 40-foot container of much-needed medical supplies and equipment to a Central African country.
Project C.U.R.E. (Commission on Urgent Relief and Equipment) is sending hundreds of boxes of gloves, syringes, dressings, bandages and more to the International Community Reference Healthcare Complex in Buea, Cameroon. In addition to those supplies, it’s also sending 12 hospital beds and an X-ray machine.
“We collect donated medical supplies and equipment from valley hospitals, then we take those supplies and equipment and ship it to developing countries,” said Project C.U.R.E. executive director Melissa Gable.
Project C.U.R.E. has already sent donated medical supplies and equipment to 15 countries this year.
“It is actually going to a healthcare center that is brand new,” said Gable of the supplies’ Cameroon destination. “It has 43 beds, but those 43 beds are going to serve 200,000 people.”
Because of U.S. regulations, the hospitals would have been unable to use the goods here.
“A lot of what you see is stuff that maybe the hospitals have overstocked, or that they’ve opened a box and they can’t reuse anything,” said Gable.
Project C.U.R.E. has provided assistance to people in more than 120 countries since it began in the 1980s.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.