TEMPE, Ariz. — Volunteers in a Tempe warehouse are spending the days before Christmas getting ready to ship a 40-foot container of much-needed medical supplies and equipment to a Central African country.
Project C.U.R.E. (Commission on Urgent Relief and Equipment) is sending hundreds of boxes of gloves, syringes, dressings, bandages and more to the International Community Reference Healthcare Complex in Buea, Cameroon. In addition to those supplies, it’s also sending 12 hospital beds and an X-ray machine.
“We collect donated medical supplies and equipment from valley hospitals, then we take those supplies and equipment and ship it to developing countries,” said Project C.U.R.E. executive director Melissa Gable.
Project C.U.R.E. has already sent donated medical supplies and equipment to 15 countries this year.
“It is actually going to a healthcare center that is brand new,” said Gable of the supplies’ Cameroon destination. “It has 43 beds, but those 43 beds are going to serve 200,000 people.”
Because of U.S. regulations, the hospitals would have been unable to use the goods here.
“A lot of what you see is stuff that maybe the hospitals have overstocked, or that they’ve opened a box and they can’t reuse anything,” said Gable.
Project C.U.R.E. has provided assistance to people in more than 120 countries since it began in the 1980s.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy