TEMPE, Ariz. — Volunteers in a Tempe warehouse are spending the days before Christmas getting ready to ship a 40-foot container of much-needed medical supplies and equipment to a Central African country.
Project C.U.R.E. (Commission on Urgent Relief and Equipment) is sending hundreds of boxes of gloves, syringes, dressings, bandages and more to the International Community Reference Healthcare Complex in Buea, Cameroon. In addition to those supplies, it’s also sending 12 hospital beds and an X-ray machine.
“We collect donated medical supplies and equipment from valley hospitals, then we take those supplies and equipment and ship it to developing countries,” said Project C.U.R.E. executive director Melissa Gable.
Project C.U.R.E. has already sent donated medical supplies and equipment to 15 countries this year.
“It is actually going to a healthcare center that is brand new,” said Gable of the supplies’ Cameroon destination. “It has 43 beds, but those 43 beds are going to serve 200,000 people.”
Because of U.S. regulations, the hospitals would have been unable to use the goods here.
“A lot of what you see is stuff that maybe the hospitals have overstocked, or that they’ve opened a box and they can’t reuse anything,” said Gable.
Project C.U.R.E. has provided assistance to people in more than 120 countries since it began in the 1980s.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona