PHOENIX — It was the video seen around the world on Thursday: A group of sorority girls snapping selfies at an Arizona Diamondbacks baseball game while the announcers cracked jokes.
What started out as harmless fun at Wednesday’s game against the Colorado Rockies took the Internet by storm.
“Every girl in the picture is locked into her phone,” play-by-play man Steve Berthiaume said, while color commentator Bob Brenly sighed in the background. “Every single one is dialed in. Welcome to parenting in 2015. They’re all just completely transfixed by the technology.”
The girls were one of the top trending topics on social media and a lot of people were talking about it.
After the video went viral, the team — along with broadcast partner Fox Sports Arizona — offered the Alpha Chi Omega girls tickets to Thursday night’s game. In a Facebook post, the sorority announced it would not be accepting the offer and instead encouraged the team to pass tickets for a future game to A New Leaf, a Phoenix-area nonprofit that assists victims of domestic violence.
- With storms coming, Arizona firefighters rescue dog from drain
- Police release video of Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim’s DUI arrest
- Former NAZ Suns assistant found dead in Phoenix, posted farewell video
- See spectacular images of enormous dust walls in Arizona
- Boston police officers belt out stirring version of ‘God Bless America’