PHOENIX — It was the video seen around the world on Thursday: A group of sorority girls snapping selfies at an Arizona Diamondbacks baseball game while the announcers cracked jokes.
What started out as harmless fun at Wednesday’s game against the Colorado Rockies took the Internet by storm.
“Every girl in the picture is locked into her phone,” play-by-play man Steve Berthiaume said, while color commentator Bob Brenly sighed in the background. “Every single one is dialed in. Welcome to parenting in 2015. They’re all just completely transfixed by the technology.”
The girls were one of the top trending topics on social media and a lot of people were talking about it.
After the video went viral, the team — along with broadcast partner Fox Sports Arizona — offered the Alpha Chi Omega girls tickets to Thursday night’s game. In a Facebook post, the sorority announced it would not be accepting the offer and instead encouraged the team to pass tickets for a future game to A New Leaf, a Phoenix-area nonprofit that assists victims of domestic violence.
- Meghan McCain posts another photo of her and Sen. John McCain
- Hold your horses: Runaway horse leads man on long chase
- Off Central: D-backs organist plays 21 years for love of music, baseball
- This deep-sea dive in Antarctica is equal parts amazing and frightening
- Dramatic video shows man’s rescue after California avalanche