Northern Arizona residents are being encouraged to participate in an online, interactive web course offered by FEMA called “Active Shooter: What You Can Do.”
According to officials, the effort comes in light of the increase in mass-shooting incidents that have occurred across the country, specifically schools, and most recently the Connecticut massacre that left over two dozen children and adults dead.
“We don’t want people to panic, we want people to have an understanding and reasonable knowledge of what the possibilities are,” said Gerry Blair, Public Information Officer for the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office.
CCSO and the Flagstaff Police Department are joining forces with the Flagstaff Unified School District, charter and other schools, county and city employees, and all community members to “increase awareness of and mental preparedness for, active shooter incidents.”
An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and other populated area.
“Upon completion of the course it is believed participants will be familiar with suggested actions to take when confronted with an active shooter, recognize potential workplace violence indicators, be aware of actions intended to prevent and prepare for potential incidents and understand ways to manage the consequences of an active shooter incident,” the course’s website said.
The free online course takes about 45 minutes to complete and is available to anyone.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food