Northern Arizona residents are being encouraged to participate in an online, interactive web course offered by FEMA called “Active Shooter: What You Can Do.”
According to officials, the effort comes in light of the increase in mass-shooting incidents that have occurred across the country, specifically schools, and most recently the Connecticut massacre that left over two dozen children and adults dead.
“We don’t want people to panic, we want people to have an understanding and reasonable knowledge of what the possibilities are,” said Gerry Blair, Public Information Officer for the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office.
CCSO and the Flagstaff Police Department are joining forces with the Flagstaff Unified School District, charter and other schools, county and city employees, and all community members to “increase awareness of and mental preparedness for, active shooter incidents.”
An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and other populated area.
“Upon completion of the course it is believed participants will be familiar with suggested actions to take when confronted with an active shooter, recognize potential workplace violence indicators, be aware of actions intended to prevent and prepare for potential incidents and understand ways to manage the consequences of an active shooter incident,” the course’s website said.
The free online course takes about 45 minutes to complete and is available to anyone.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl