PHOENIX — Smart phone technology is playing a larger role in stolen identity crimes. Thieves take pictures and video which has led to a new breed of criminal called “Shoulder Surfers.”
Becky Frost with Experian’s ProtectMyID said people can record audio, video and take pictures while standing in line behind victims at the store.
“You get these shoulder surfers who are snapping pictures of your credit and debit cards,” she said. “They also take pictures while you’re filling out a credit card application in the store. If you’re signing up for a card ask the retailer for a private place to fill it out or block the application with your body or hand.”
Frost said consumers need to keep store receipts safely stored away. Don’t just toss receipts in the trash; shred them.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Jason Davis said stolen smart phones also provide a wealth of info for identity thieves.
“They can look for anything you have stored in there: Personal info, credit card numbers, pictures of a check, bank routing numbers and other info that thieves could use to wreak havoc on you.”
Arizona used to top the nation when it came to identity theft and, although the state has dropped to fourth in the country, it is still a big problem.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas