PHOENIX — Smart phone technology is playing a larger role in stolen identity crimes. Thieves take pictures and video which has led to a new breed of criminal called “Shoulder Surfers.”
Becky Frost with Experian’s ProtectMyID said people can record audio, video and take pictures while standing in line behind victims at the store.
“You get these shoulder surfers who are snapping pictures of your credit and debit cards,” she said. “They also take pictures while you’re filling out a credit card application in the store. If you’re signing up for a card ask the retailer for a private place to fill it out or block the application with your body or hand.”
Frost said consumers need to keep store receipts safely stored away. Don’t just toss receipts in the trash; shred them.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Jason Davis said stolen smart phones also provide a wealth of info for identity thieves.
“They can look for anything you have stored in there: Personal info, credit card numbers, pictures of a check, bank routing numbers and other info that thieves could use to wreak havoc on you.”
Arizona used to top the nation when it came to identity theft and, although the state has dropped to fourth in the country, it is still a big problem.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy