Police are warning last-minute shoppers to keep their wits about them as they grab their gifts.
Thieves keep an eye out for anyone flashing a lot of money in a store or carrying a lot of packages to a vehicle during the shopping season.
“Even though you’re trying to be safe by putting it in the trunk, if you’re not watching the guys that’s watching you put it in the trunk, he may come back after you leave and break into your trunk,” said Surprise Police Sgt. Mike Donovan.
After the stores close, thieves often scour neighborhood streets, looking for boxes of high-dollar items, such as televisions, sitting outside homes.
“Don’t leave that box out there on the curbside for trash,” said Donovan. “That alerts bad guys that there’s a nice 50-inch television inside the residence.”
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates