Police are warning last-minute shoppers to keep their wits about them as they grab their gifts.
Thieves keep an eye out for anyone flashing a lot of money in a store or carrying a lot of packages to a vehicle during the shopping season.
“Even though you’re trying to be safe by putting it in the trunk, if you’re not watching the guys that’s watching you put it in the trunk, he may come back after you leave and break into your trunk,” said Surprise Police Sgt. Mike Donovan.
After the stores close, thieves often scour neighborhood streets, looking for boxes of high-dollar items, such as televisions, sitting outside homes.
“Don’t leave that box out there on the curbside for trash,” said Donovan. “That alerts bad guys that there’s a nice 50-inch television inside the residence.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments