PHOENIX — Some Phoenix police officers flexed their shopping muscles Tuesday morning with grateful schoolkids.
More than 100 officers and 62 children gathered at the Christown mall Target for the second “Shop With a Cop” event. The kids, from Phoenix and Tucson, get $200 apiece to spend on gifts.
“Income-wise, economy-wise, (the families) may struggle a little bit, and we just want to ensure that these kids enjoy a great Christmas season like everybody else,” said Phoenix Police spokesman James Holmes.
The kids also get breakfast and a visit with Santa.
“They’re good kids. They don’t shop for themselves, they shop for their families, they make sure their siblings get something out of this,” Holmes said.
More often than not, the kids ignore toys.
“They buy clothing, ornaments for their Christmas trees, they get things for their parents. Last year, one kid bought an ornament that had his mom’s name on it and he cried.”
Ariana, 11, spent most of her allotment on gifts for the baby sister who is due next month.
“I look forward to this day,” Holmes said with a smile.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona