On Sunday, volunteers discovered a body in the Salt River near the area where a missing Arizona State University student was last seen on Nov. 30.
Members of Arizona Search Track and Rescue and FindMe2.com spotted the body not far from where a shoe belonging to the student had been found.
“I’m really proud of what the team did,” said Kristi Smith with Arizona Search Track and Rescue. “I don’t know how I would feel if one of my loved ones went missing and I didn’t know what happened and where they were.”
While the medical examiner will make the positive identification, Tempe police said there’s a good chance the body is that of 19-year-old Jack Culolias. His family contacted private search groups after police called their search off.
Smith said Arizona Search Track and Rescue is a non-profit group with about 30 trained volunteers and two dozen canines.
“Doing this at least helps bring some type of closure so they can begin the grieving process,” she said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development