On Sunday, volunteers discovered a body in the Salt River near the area where a missing Arizona State University student was last seen on Nov. 30.
Members of Arizona Search Track and Rescue and FindMe2.com spotted the body not far from where a shoe belonging to the student had been found.
“I’m really proud of what the team did,” said Kristi Smith with Arizona Search Track and Rescue. “I don’t know how I would feel if one of my loved ones went missing and I didn’t know what happened and where they were.”
While the medical examiner will make the positive identification, Tempe police said there’s a good chance the body is that of 19-year-old Jack Culolias. His family contacted private search groups after police called their search off.
Smith said Arizona Search Track and Rescue is a non-profit group with about 30 trained volunteers and two dozen canines.
“Doing this at least helps bring some type of closure so they can begin the grieving process,” she said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier