On Sunday, volunteers discovered a body in the Salt River near the area where a missing Arizona State University student was last seen on Nov. 30.
Members of Arizona Search Track and Rescue and FindMe2.com spotted the body not far from where a shoe belonging to the student had been found.
“I’m really proud of what the team did,” said Kristi Smith with Arizona Search Track and Rescue. “I don’t know how I would feel if one of my loved ones went missing and I didn’t know what happened and where they were.”
While the medical examiner will make the positive identification, Tempe police said there’s a good chance the body is that of 19-year-old Jack Culolias. His family contacted private search groups after police called their search off.
Smith said Arizona Search Track and Rescue is a non-profit group with about 30 trained volunteers and two dozen canines.
“Doing this at least helps bring some type of closure so they can begin the grieving process,” she said.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick