PHOENIX — A Newtown, Conn. school shooting has apparently pushed Valley residents to purchase more firearms.
AZFirearms.com in Avondale saw sales over the weekend triple from the typical weekend. The big sellers were handguns and AR-15 semi-automatic rifles.
Cheryl Todd with AZFirearms.com said some of the rush could be the holiday shopping season, but not all. The customers were a mixture of people looking for personal protection and people who fear that gun restrictions are coming.
“Some people expressed to us that they wanted to buy a gun while they still can,” she said. “We saw families shopping together. These are middle mainstream Americans, not people you would expect on the fringe.”
Dan Todd said some customers are worried about the possibility of gun restrictions and new laws. He didn’t see this level of sales or concern about gun restrictions following last summer’s shootings at a theatre in Aurora, Colo.
Todd said he feels Americans are going to see an attempt to reinstitute the Clinton-era assault weapons ban that expired in 2004.
“I don’t know if [gun control advocates] are going to be successful,” he said. “It’s not needed, but that’s what some people who are uneducated about firearms want to do.”
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past