PHOENIX — Arizona’s spring training baseball industry pumps $632 million into the state economy each year and about a third of that is after the teams have gone home.
In the first study of the year round impact of spring training baseball, FMR Associates in Tucson said $422 million is tied to the February-March period when the teams are here training. A study from Elliott D. Pollack and Co. found that another $210 million comes from the use of stadiums the rest of the year.
Mark Coronado with the Cactus League said the facilities are used all year by the community. “Art festivals, youth sports, all kinds of activities that contribute to the communities.”
Coronado said spring training pumps the local economic tires and the wealth is being spread well beyond the ballparks.
“Many visitors are heading to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Prescott.”
He said about 2,000 jobs are tied directly to the spring training stadiums and teams while other jobs are created at bars, restaurants, hotels near the stadiums.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas