PHOENIX — Arizona’s spring training baseball industry pumps $632 million into the state economy each year and about a third of that is after the teams have gone home.
In the first study of the year round impact of spring training baseball, FMR Associates in Tucson said $422 million is tied to the February-March period when the teams are here training. A study from Elliott D. Pollack and Co. found that another $210 million comes from the use of stadiums the rest of the year.
Mark Coronado with the Cactus League said the facilities are used all year by the community. “Art festivals, youth sports, all kinds of activities that contribute to the communities.”
Coronado said spring training pumps the local economic tires and the wealth is being spread well beyond the ballparks.
“Many visitors are heading to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Prescott.”
He said about 2,000 jobs are tied directly to the spring training stadiums and teams while other jobs are created at bars, restaurants, hotels near the stadiums.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development