On Sunday morning, volunteer searchers discovered a body in the river near Tempe Marketplace.
Tempe police Sgt. Mike Pooley tells KTAR the body was found in the area where a shoe belonging to Jack Culolias was found.
“We believe there’s a good chance this is Jack Culolias,” Pooley said. “Right now, there are no signs of foul play.”
The 19-year-old freshman from California went missing after being kicked out of Cadillac Ranch restaurant and bar in Tempe on November 30. His mother reported him missing on December 2 after fraternity members told her that Jack never returned. She and other family members came to Tempe to search the area and found a shoe belonging to her son.
Despite days of searching the river and land, police found no sign of him. Sgt. Pooley says the weather may be behind Sunday’s discovery.
“What we’re thinking is because of all the rain we’ve been getting, the water level has significantly risen just in the past couple of days,” said Pooley. “So, we’re thinking if this is indeed Jack and if this body was down there it was obviously lodged in between something and the water level has brought it up quite a bit.”
Pooley says the medical examiner will positively identify the body and determine a cause of death.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain