On Sunday morning, volunteer searchers discovered a body in the river near Tempe Marketplace.
Tempe police Sgt. Mike Pooley tells KTAR the body was found in the area where a shoe belonging to Jack Culolias was found.
“We believe there’s a good chance this is Jack Culolias,” Pooley said. “Right now, there are no signs of foul play.”
The 19-year-old freshman from California went missing after being kicked out of Cadillac Ranch restaurant and bar in Tempe on November 30. His mother reported him missing on December 2 after fraternity members told her that Jack never returned. She and other family members came to Tempe to search the area and found a shoe belonging to her son.
Despite days of searching the river and land, police found no sign of him. Sgt. Pooley says the weather may be behind Sunday’s discovery.
“What we’re thinking is because of all the rain we’ve been getting, the water level has significantly risen just in the past couple of days,” said Pooley. “So, we’re thinking if this is indeed Jack and if this body was down there it was obviously lodged in between something and the water level has brought it up quite a bit.”
Pooley says the medical examiner will positively identify the body and determine a cause of death.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon