PHOENIX — The Arizona Cardinals and Phoenix Suns are having a losing season. The NHL lockout is keeping the Phoenix Coyotes off the ice, and the Arizona Diamondbacks are coming off a .500 season.
Valley sports teams are having a tough time, and so are sports memorabilia stores that are trying to sell their stock.
The cash register is ringing at the Free Agent Sports Store in Paradise Valley Mall. Memorabilia from the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers are hot sellers, but owner Jeff Thalblum said items of the local teams are “collecting dust right now.”
Thalblum said sales of local teams’ goods are off 65 percent this holiday season. It didn’t start out that way.
When the Cardinals started the season 4-0, their merchandise was flying off of the shelves. Since then, they’ve only sold one Beanie Wells autographed picture. The other teams aren’t doing any better.
“The Diamondbacks sold a few things with their 81-81 record,” said Thalblum. “Nobody is buying anything involving the Phoenix Coyotes, and fans can’t even name anyone who plays for the Phoenix Suns.”
About the only thing that’s getting any reaction from customers is an autographed picture of Steve Nash in a Suns uniform that’s in the front window.
“People look at it, and I’ve actually seen some people cry,” Thalblum said. “I’ve actually seen a few tears. People are like ‘If we only had him, could things be just a little bit different?’ ”
Nash signed with the Los Angeles Lakers during the offseason.
Thalblum is trying to keep a positive outlook. He said his sales will improve, just as soon as Valley sports teams do.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns