PHOENIX — The Arizona Cardinals and Phoenix Suns are having a losing season. The NHL lockout is keeping the Phoenix Coyotes off the ice, and the Arizona Diamondbacks are coming off a .500 season.
Valley sports teams are having a tough time, and so are sports memorabilia stores that are trying to sell their stock.
The cash register is ringing at the Free Agent Sports Store in Paradise Valley Mall. Memorabilia from the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers are hot sellers, but owner Jeff Thalblum said items of the local teams are “collecting dust right now.”
Thalblum said sales of local teams’ goods are off 65 percent this holiday season. It didn’t start out that way.
When the Cardinals started the season 4-0, their merchandise was flying off of the shelves. Since then, they’ve only sold one Beanie Wells autographed picture. The other teams aren’t doing any better.
“The Diamondbacks sold a few things with their 81-81 record,” said Thalblum. “Nobody is buying anything involving the Phoenix Coyotes, and fans can’t even name anyone who plays for the Phoenix Suns.”
About the only thing that’s getting any reaction from customers is an autographed picture of Steve Nash in a Suns uniform that’s in the front window.
“People look at it, and I’ve actually seen some people cry,” Thalblum said. “I’ve actually seen a few tears. People are like ‘If we only had him, could things be just a little bit different?’ ”
Nash signed with the Los Angeles Lakers during the offseason.
Thalblum is trying to keep a positive outlook. He said his sales will improve, just as soon as Valley sports teams do.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again