PHOENIX — It sold for as much as $100 a six pack, but Americans showed up in droves to buy what many consider to be one of the world’s most special beers.
Westvleteren 12 beer is brewed by monks and is usually only available at the abbey in Belgium.
“It’s just an incredible combination of malts and dark Belgian yeast,” said Edward Cooper of Total Wine and More. “The complexity in that is just, for many, a phenomenal taste.”
The monks’ abbey needs a new roof, so they decided to pay for that by selling a small amount of the beer in the United States.
And it didn’t take long to sell out.
Cooper said that his store sold the beer for just under $85 a six pack.
“At all of our stores in Arizona, we had 264 cases. That’s 1,056 six packs, and they all sold out in a day and a half,” Cooper said.
The stores received their shipments Dec. 12 and was all sold by the next day.
He’s not expecting another delivery.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development