PHOENIX — It sold for as much as $100 a six pack, but Americans showed up in droves to buy what many consider to be one of the world’s most special beers.
Westvleteren 12 beer is brewed by monks and is usually only available at the abbey in Belgium.
“It’s just an incredible combination of malts and dark Belgian yeast,” said Edward Cooper of Total Wine and More. “The complexity in that is just, for many, a phenomenal taste.”
The monks’ abbey needs a new roof, so they decided to pay for that by selling a small amount of the beer in the United States.
And it didn’t take long to sell out.
Cooper said that his store sold the beer for just under $85 a six pack.
“At all of our stores in Arizona, we had 264 cases. That’s 1,056 six packs, and they all sold out in a day and a half,” Cooper said.
The stores received their shipments Dec. 12 and was all sold by the next day.
He’s not expecting another delivery.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona