PHOENIX — Members of the military who have a long layover at Sky Harbor Airport now have a place to relax while they wait.
The new United Services Organization center in Terminal 4 features cushy chairs and couches, flat-screen TVs, video games, movies, a children’s area and more.
“It provides a place for them to sit down and relax, and computers where military members and their families can check their email,” said Sky Harbor spokeswoman Julie Rodriguez.
“It also has snacks, little toiletries that they may need, like little bottles of lotion and things, and just a place that they can come and unwind if they have a long layover.”
The center had been located in Terminal 2 for a number of years. Rodriguez said it was moved because 80 percent of the airport’s passengers go through Terminal 4.
Loretta Nielson of Gold Canyon accompanied her military son to the USO center. She said it provides a way for soldiers from out of town to get in touch with their families.
“I can Skype you, I can email you, I can talk to you,” said Nielson. “I’m in a secure environment, a nice clean, wonderful environment where people are happy and people care about you here.”
“This is a new world,” Nielson said. “There are like, video games and computers here. That’s how I can connect.”
The center was made possible by donations from American Airlines and Tri-West.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night