PHOENIX — Members of the military who have a long layover at Sky Harbor Airport now have a place to relax while they wait.
The new United Services Organization center in Terminal 4 features cushy chairs and couches, flat-screen TVs, video games, movies, a children’s area and more.
“It provides a place for them to sit down and relax, and computers where military members and their families can check their email,” said Sky Harbor spokeswoman Julie Rodriguez.
“It also has snacks, little toiletries that they may need, like little bottles of lotion and things, and just a place that they can come and unwind if they have a long layover.”
The center had been located in Terminal 2 for a number of years. Rodriguez said it was moved because 80 percent of the airport’s passengers go through Terminal 4.
Loretta Nielson of Gold Canyon accompanied her military son to the USO center. She said it provides a way for soldiers from out of town to get in touch with their families.
“I can Skype you, I can email you, I can talk to you,” said Nielson. “I’m in a secure environment, a nice clean, wonderful environment where people are happy and people care about you here.”
“This is a new world,” Nielson said. “There are like, video games and computers here. That’s how I can connect.”
The center was made possible by donations from American Airlines and Tri-West.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona