PHOENIX — Members of the military who have a long layover at Sky Harbor Airport now have a place to relax while they wait.
The new United Services Organization center in Terminal 4 features cushy chairs and couches, flat-screen TVs, video games, movies, a children’s area and more.
“It provides a place for them to sit down and relax, and computers where military members and their families can check their email,” said Sky Harbor spokeswoman Julie Rodriguez.
“It also has snacks, little toiletries that they may need, like little bottles of lotion and things, and just a place that they can come and unwind if they have a long layover.”
The center had been located in Terminal 2 for a number of years. Rodriguez said it was moved because 80 percent of the airport’s passengers go through Terminal 4.
Loretta Nielson of Gold Canyon accompanied her military son to the USO center. She said it provides a way for soldiers from out of town to get in touch with their families.
“I can Skype you, I can email you, I can talk to you,” said Nielson. “I’m in a secure environment, a nice clean, wonderful environment where people are happy and people care about you here.”
“This is a new world,” Nielson said. “There are like, video games and computers here. That’s how I can connect.”
The center was made possible by donations from American Airlines and Tri-West.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon