Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer released the following statement after a school shooting claimed the lives of nearly 30 people in Newtown, Conn.
The statement has not been altered in any way.
“Like all Americans, I am horrified, outraged and heartbroken at the news of today’s senseless shooting spree at a school in Newtown, Connecticut. More than two-dozen of our fellow Americans were lost – innocent young lives have been cut short.
“As law enforcement works to put together the pieces of this tragedy in the coming days, I ask that all Arizonans join me in praying for Newtown. Pray for the schoolchildren too young and innocent to comprehend such cruelty. Pray for those who were unjustly taken from their loved ones, and for the families shaken by a sense of grief difficult to imagine. Finally, pray that Americans rally together – as we do in trying and tragic times – to cope with this heartbreak.
“Today, Arizona stands with Connecticut. Let us hold the town of Newtown and its residents in our hearts and prayers. In memory of the victims of this tragedy, and in coordination with the President’s order, I have asked that flags at all State buildings be lowered until sunset on December 18, 2012. I encourage all Arizonans to participate in this tribute.”
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again