Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer released the following statement after a school shooting claimed the lives of nearly 30 people in Newtown, Conn.
The statement has not been altered in any way.
“Like all Americans, I am horrified, outraged and heartbroken at the news of today’s senseless shooting spree at a school in Newtown, Connecticut. More than two-dozen of our fellow Americans were lost – innocent young lives have been cut short.
“As law enforcement works to put together the pieces of this tragedy in the coming days, I ask that all Arizonans join me in praying for Newtown. Pray for the schoolchildren too young and innocent to comprehend such cruelty. Pray for those who were unjustly taken from their loved ones, and for the families shaken by a sense of grief difficult to imagine. Finally, pray that Americans rally together – as we do in trying and tragic times – to cope with this heartbreak.
“Today, Arizona stands with Connecticut. Let us hold the town of Newtown and its residents in our hearts and prayers. In memory of the victims of this tragedy, and in coordination with the President’s order, I have asked that flags at all State buildings be lowered until sunset on December 18, 2012. I encourage all Arizonans to participate in this tribute.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.