The Kyrene School District released the following statement after nearly 30 people were killed in a school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
The statement has not been altered in any way.
Earlier today, we found out about the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. We extend our deepest sympathies to the Newtown community.
Please be assured that Kyrene schools are continuing to follow our normal schedule today. Kyrene has a number of proactive measures in place to ensure the safety and security at all of our schools. Some of these include:
• During the school day all exterior doors to a school building are locked. The only point of entry into our schools is through the school offices.
• All of our schools have a virtual video fence where cameras operate 24 hours a day and act as a deterrent for unauthorized activity.
• All schools follow a comprehensive crisis plan and practice lockdown and fire drills on a regular schedule.
• When a school calls a lockdown, even District badges will not open an exterior door, and crisis personnel at the District office are automatically contacted.
• We regularly review our crisis plans and work closely with all local emergency agencies.
Kyrene continues to take the safety and security of our students and staff very seriously. Thank you for your continuing support.
David K. Schauer
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life